The committee of the Kingsdown Conservation Group would like to wish all residents a Very Happy and Positive New Year.
Here are a few of the topics we discussed and acted upon in 2017:
1. Bristol University’s proposal to close Tyndall Avenue to all vehicles. The committee of the KCG would like the University to consider a Shared Space option instead, which means that pedestrians and vehicles share the road – with the right planning this works really well, as in Exhibition Road, London. The University plans to redirect the traffic – even buses – down narrow St Michael’s Park. This application is open for comment until January 10th on the BCC Planning website. Application Number 17/06169/F
2. The Old Building of the BRI. The Chapel has now been listed by Historic England. Although this scuppered the proposed planning application by Unite, there is some doubt over whether permission to clear the site still exists. We await new events.
3. St Michael’s on the Mount. There are plans to re-use the building as a community space.
4. Thefts of our pennant stone paving happened in October. We’re open to ideas on how to safeguard our pavements.
5. The triangle garden at the west end of St Matthew’s Road suffered the loss of its Catalpa tree in the high winds. We hope to plant a more robust tree (or trees) in the new year.
6. Due to threatened budget cuts there is uncertainty about the maintenance of our Parks and Green Spaces. We need to discuss how much help the community can give to the care and maintenance of our streets and open spaces, and who should organise this.